Contradictions are not avoided.
Rem Koolhaas. S, M, L, XL. Page xix.
This is a «personal» website of Martin Zemlicka (with diacritics: Žemlička),
meaning that the intention is to mainly be a dumping ground for things done by
Although contradictions are not avoided, I do actually try to be consistent
with my own idiosyncratic ways of using various typographic and syntactical
- « and » are used in instances where, would one be speaking, one would do
some sort of air quotes or slight somewhat-irono-sarcastic emphasis on a
- “ and ” are used for quoting shorter passages of whose source is not the
text that is being read; that is: external sources.
- ‘ and ’ are used for quoting strings from within the text. A device for
showing that the string surrounded by ‘ and ’ is a direct reference to a
previous usage of the string; that is: internal sources.
- italics are used for normal (as opposed to ‘air quote’) emphasis.
- Footnotes are used for either citing references, or, more commonly,
for meta comments from the author or other most-likely-snarky remarks.